Spice Up Your Holiday Parties With My Basmati Rice, Chorizo & Mushroom Side Dish
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, visit my disclosure page
With the holidays fast approaching, I start looking for recipes to serve at my parties or to take to someone else’s party. I enjoy making something new to share. It fun to add a couple non-traditional dishes to your holiday table. So today I am sharing a basmati rice dish with you. I think rice makes a wonderful side dish. I used Mahatma Basmati Rice in this recipe.
I love the wonderful aroma it emits while it’s cooking. I especially like using Mahatma brand rice because it’s premium rice. It’s the best selling rice in the U.S.A. The Basmati rice is grown in at the foothills of the Himalayan where it’s washed by the snow capped mountains. Sounds pretty awesome! Rice is a nice change from your usual potatoes.
You can make this dish up ahead of time and heat in the microwave before serving.
6 cups chicken broth
8 ounces ground chorizo or ground sausage
8 ounces of mushrooms quartered, I used Bella mushrooms
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
1 1/2 cups uncooked Mahatma Basmati Rice
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley
In a saucepan heat the chicken broth to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
Cook the chorizo in a large skillet. Remove from pan and set aside.
Stir in 1 cup of hot broth bring to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes or until the broth is absorbed.
Continue to add the broth 1/2 cup at a time until all the broth is absorbed and rice is tender. This should take about 30 minutes.
My husband raved and raved about this dish! He wasn’t excited at first but after he ate it he wanted more. I also took some in for the doctor to try, (he’s another one of my taste testers). He was equally impressed. You can make this as a side or even a main dish.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces ground chorizo or ground sausage
- 8 ounces of mushrooms quartered, I used Bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 1½ cups uncooked Mahatma Basmati Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- In a saucepan heat the chicken broth to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook the chorizo in a large skillet. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the 1 tablespoon oil, mushrooms and onions to the pan, cook over medium heat until tender about 3 minutes. Stir frequently. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add rice, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 cup of hot broth bring to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes or until the broth is absorbed.
- Continue to add the broth ½ cup at a time until all the broth is absorbed and rice is tender. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the butter until melted.
- Add the chorizo, mushroom mixture, half the parsley and cheese. Stir.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the parsley and serve.