When it comes to pies, I’m a pumpkin lover. Pumpkin pie is a must have at our holiday dinners. Another traditional holiday pie is the Pecan pie. I can honestly say in my 50 some years I have never tasted, let alone made a pecan pie. I decided to ask several people if they liked pecan pie. I got an overwhelming yes! I was shocked, I had no idea. I thought pecan pie was like fruit cake, something we’ve all heard about but not tasted. So I found this traditional recipe in Taste of the South magazine. I used my own crust recipe. If have you haven’t tried a Pecan yet, you should. It’s easy to make and so sweet and gooey. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
One 9 inch pie crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 ice cold water
In a small bowl combine flour and salt.
Cut in butter until it resembles crumbs, I pulse mine in a food processor.
Add enough water until it forms a ball. Wrap and chill for a couple hours.
Roll out to make round crust.
3 large eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup butter melted and cooled to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups pecan halves
In a medium bowl stir together eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt.
Gently stir in the pecans.
Pour into the prepared pie crust
Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes
Loosely cover the pie with aluminum foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until center is firm.
Let cool completely before serving.
Top with whipped cream and enjoy.
Recipe type: Dessert
- One 9 inch pie crust
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- In a medium bowl stir together eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Gently stir in the pecans.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes
- Loosely cover the pie with aluminum foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until center is firm.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- Top with whipped cream.